Saturday, December 14, 2013

Target Bingo

While visiting my local Target today, I saw a product, a Rachel Ray Oil Dispensing Bottle, that I decided would be a nice addition to our kitchen. I put it in the top part of my cart, the part for children, but where I put fragile or small items. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to raise the barrier that closes the leg holes. Without pushing the cart more than a foot, the bottle fell out one of the leg holes and shattered with an embarrassingly clamourous crash. At the same moment, two women passed the aisle and gave me a look. Still, I cannot ascertain whether it was pity or disgust. 

I went to the end of the aisle to find a Target associate so I could report my wrongdoing. Alas, I saw no employees in the red and khaki uniforms. I walked around a little, still without success. Finally, I went to one of the customer service phones placed throughout the store and confessed to causing a ruckus on aisle 30-B. As I was speaking to the representative who reassured me my mess would be cleaned, an associate walked by and asked if I needed help. I hung up the phone and explained that I was reporting a broken item. She said, "Oh, I thought I heard something smash." Another associate, I'm guessing a new employee, entered the scene. The woman who had asked me if I needed help then directed the newcomer to the location of the shattered bottle for a clean up job. With some sympathy, to make it seem a little less horrible, she told the cleaning designee, "At least you can add it to your Target Bingo Card!" 

I moved from my shamefaced state to curiosity. "A bingo card! Is that real or just a joke?" She explained that it was real, and the first time an associate completed certain tasks, they could check off the job. At that point, she had to take care of another customer, but I was fascinated. This type of activity could enliven entry-level or routine jobs to promote motivation and engagement. It's also something that could be used in training, either to demonstrate evidence of learning or to identify training needs.

If any readers have access to one of these Target Bingo Cards, please send a copy my way!


No comments:

Post a Comment